Thursday, March 31, 2011

Surprise!

Other than starting thirty minutes late, this past Tuesday night seemed pretty typical at the prison. We arrived and made the chapel ready for the girls to come down. We waited and looked out over the prison yard. Soon they were filing out of the pods and making their way toward us with hurried feet.

Loads of hugs.
Lots of "I've really got to talk to you..."
Many "I've had the worst week ever..."
One "My sister (sobs) has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer (more sobs)" and more hugs.

Each week is filled with the highs and lows of over 60 women. Then came the surprise... I didn't see it coming. Didn't have enough faith to think it might be possible.

BUT - after 6 years of sharing the love of Christ with one particularly hard-headed, God resistant and wall building woman - it seems that Love has broken down walls. I learned this woman, who has not been a choir member for over a year, wants to talk to me about... CHRIST!

Now, you could have punched me in the face and it would not have phased me in this moment - I was stunned. Shocked. And the lump rose in my throat and the tears crept into the corners of my eyes... and I let it dawn on my soul - the impact of such a request. I just never believed - and God reminds me that I need my faith to grow more...

Sadly, the officers would not send her down this past Tuesday - Ahhh - but in a few days we will talk. Pray for her as she is so close to crossing the line of faith. I am thrilled at the thought!

We love.
We love when people shove back.
We love when people say - NO.
We love when people shout - NEVER. Keep on loving them.
And one day - Love might surprise you!

Galatians 6: 9-10 Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers.

3 comments:

Leah @ Point Ministries said...

Yippee God!!! How awesome is the Holy Spirit!! So praying she comes to know our Jesus as her best friend. Keep us updated, Tina.

Leah Stuart said...

Actually, she is pulling away some due to a particularly judgmental preacher she heard the other morning. I love her, as she is a terrific friend of mine, and will continue to pray for her unceasingly.

rsctt said...

eternal blessings to you for your service to Him!

www.wayfarersquest-rsctt.blogspot.com